Presented by Susan Maples, DDS
Monday, February 27, 2017
7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. CT
- We are all aware that HPV invasion has long surpassed tobacco and alcohol as the leading cause of oral cancer, and it’s increasing at 30% a year.
- One person every 20 minutes of every day, all year long is getting cancer caused by HPV.
- In the U.S. we now have more HPV-oral cancer than HPV cervical cancer…..but much harder to detect in early stages
- 25 of the 51 known intra-oral HPV strains have been associated with oral cancer, not just HPV 16 and 18
- We can now detect HPV cancer risk with a single drop of saliva and if positive, develop a more effective strategy for early cancer identification
Talking about HPV and getting patients tested for presence of HPV is not easy but early cancer diagnosis is absolutely critical for survival. Are you equipped to have conversations with patients about how HPV infection happens, why oral oral sex isn’t safe sex, the difference between HPV exposure and persistent HPV infection, where HPV oral cancer develops (versus tobacco-alcohol) oral cancer, what is covered by the HPV vaccination series, and what to recommend if your salivary diagnostic is HPV positive?
Dr. Susan Maples leads a 30 year insurance-independent dental practice in Holt, MI. She brings preventive and restorative dental expertise with a passion for mouth-body total health and a master’s degree in business/marketing. She is the author of BlabberMouth! 77 Secrets Only Your Mouth Can Tell You To Live a Healthier, Happier, Sexier Life and the developer of the Hands-On Learning Lab™ and SelfScreen.net. Susan is currently launching Total Health University, an online learning platform for dental teams, exclusively available through Henry Schein.
Members, log in to register!